Wednesday, February 24, 2010

american idol: top 24, girls night

Anyone who knows me knows that I've been pretty heavily into American Idol since season 5 started. I caught most of season 1 and was impressed with Kelly Clarkson, then I was serving an LDS mission for seasons 2 and 3 and the beginning of 4. Unless you live under a rock (or outside of the US, perhaps), you know that American Idol's live shows started off last night. It was the top 12 girls' first chance to really perform for America, and the first opportunity for the public to vote. I have a feeling it's a girl's year this year, though there are some real male powerhouses. Anyway, I have my opinions about yesterday.

Paige Miles started, and while her performance was a good opener, I don't think it did her talent much justice, and anyone in the first spot of the night is at risk of being forgotten. I'm also guessing that her 'big voice' carried more weight live than over the television, because she was merely good to me.

Ashley Rodriguez really disappointed me. You shouldn't take on Leona Lewis unless you really know what you're doing, and she really didn't. It came across as very karaoke. To me, a karaoke performance is one where you are familiar with the song, the melody, the words, and the original performance, having sung along to it in the car, but you haven't actually practiced it, getting the nuance down, getting it to fit with your voice, and working muscle memory on pitch and such. Ashley's runs were sloppy, her voice inflexible as she tried to imitate Leona's effortless acrobatics, and I was underwhelmed.

Similarly, Janell Wheeler should understand her limitations and know that her voice lacks the depth and power to take on anything by Heart. If she'd changed it up entirely and put her own spin on it she might have done alright, but it came across as a shallow take on a classic.

Lilly Scott was the first singer to impress me, but that more with style than overall execution. She has a definite Hanne Hukkleberg/Regina Spektor indie vibe to her, and her interpretation worked, but it's definitely a bit of a niche market she's appealing to. The regular teenage radio-listener might not 'get' her. If I were her, I would take a very popular and current song, then rework it in the indie style. That way she's touching the melodies that are already in the public mind, but taking them in new directions to set herself apart. Indie-fied Lady Gaga? I think so!

Katelyn Epperly really surprised me. First of all, her pitch was spot on. She did get a little bit shrieky for a moment or two, and I thought she looked like a trashy hooker wearing a trash bag, but her voice was among the best of the night.

Haeley Vaughn was a surprise in the worst possible way. I was expecting something more, possibly because she acted like she knew what she wanted to accomplish and possibly because she reminds me of Paris Bennett (season 5), but she was HORRIBLE. Shrill, shallow, oversung, with wide vowels and pitch all over the place; I almost walked out of the room.

I have high hopes for Lacey Brown. I don't think that she ruined Fleetwood Mac, nor did I think it was as pitchy as Randy claimed, but it was a bit indulgent. I don't think she won over many people who weren't already on her side, though.

I always say not to take on Alicia Keys' Fallen, but Michelle Delamor almost did it justice. She just didn't put her own spin on it. I'd like to see her branch out a bit, but her voice is promising.

Didi Benami reminds me of a cross between Brooke White (season 7) and Megan Joy (season 8). Ingrid Michaelson is one of my favorite singer-songwriters, so it was a nice first having one of her songs on AI. I hope Didi can make her mark and go far, but it will be a stretch given the strength of her competition.

Siobhan Magnus was haunting, with a robust and rich sound that worked well as she moved up and down her range. She was overly nasal from time to time, and her face is so Demi Lovato that I kept doing double-takes, but I think she'll go far.

Crystal Bowersox was great, but copied the tone and timbre of Alanis a bit too closely. That and the harmonica seemed entirely too self-indulgent. She wasn't quite good enough to pass off as an expert, and it didn't really add much except for throw our minds into a subway entrance, which is exactly where Simon took his comments. Still, she's unique enough that I think she'll make it to the top 12.

Katie Stevens is a bit of a producer's darling with her youth and backstory, and that was emphasized as she nabbed the last spot of the night (a spot almost guaranteeing a week's survival, at least in the beginning of the season). I think there aren't enough women trying to go the crooner route in the industry right now, so I don't think she was making herself out to be too old, per se, but she did take the song at far too slow a tempo. She didn't really leave her own mark on it, either. She's got a voice, though, so she should be back to change her own fortunes.

So. I was underwhelmed overall. No clear leader of the pack, but some glimpses of greatness. I suspect that the three in danger will come from this pool of four: Paige, Ashley, Janell, and Haeley. I am often wrong, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment