Wednesday, March 3, 2010

taste of my own medicine: nick jonas & the administration

I've berated people for having a closed mind about music. My brother-in-law would only listen to (or claim to listen to) country music a while back, and wouldn't entertain the idea of other music being worth listening to. My wife and I basically force-fed him some other music, and he admitted that we had a point. One of my favorite genres (although I'm not very up-to-date on it recently) is video game music - soundtracks from video games, usually role-playing games (with storylines and fleshed-out characters come character themes and more emotive music). I've been unjustly judged based on that preference many times before, but when most people hear my favorites, they admit that it isn't what they expected (I guess they think Pac-man is my idea of a good melody?).


I try to take my own advice whenever it occurs to me to do so, and so when the new album frontlined by Jonas Brother Nick Jonas came to my attention, I swallowed my pride and gave it a listen. While I'm still not a fan of the youngest Jonas's voice (it's nasal and whiny more often than not, which is popular but not my cup of tea), the kid is a songwriting juggernaut largely unheralded by those of my generation. The side project "Nick Jonas & the Administration" was started in a two-week Jonas Brothers break, and includes music that doesn't fit the Jonas Brothers sound. Many of the songs carry a Presidential motif, simultaneously citing Nick's interest in the office and allowing for dual-message lyrics. The rock roots of the music are strong, and much of the album carries an older feel hearkening back to music I heard growing up (ie music of my dad's generation). Many of the songs allow for instrumental solos and live improvisation/riffage, which you just don't hear in most mainstream music nowadays.


A little research made me more than a little jealous. At age 17, Nick Jonas is a member of two successful bands. He composes much of his own music and writes his own lyrics. He plays the guitar, drums, and piano (at least). He has appeared before Congress to speak for diabetes research. He has toured the world. He maintains a wholesome image, even with all the crap in the industry and despite the Disney pressure that has gotten to some of his contemporaries.


Anyway, I recommend his album to anyone who likes slightly more traditional rock. I am especially a fan of "Who I Am", "Stronger (Back on the Ground)", "Rose Garden", "Conspiracy Theory", and "In the End". His new live single, "Stay", is some great writing, but the nasal whine comes out in force on his high notes, so tread carefully.

4 comments:

  1. You should look up "La Roux." She is one of my favorite artists from the UK and she's got some old school nintendo beats in the background. I absolutely love her! Check out her latest single "Bullet Proof."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, she's like an 80's Tilda Swinton/Conan O'Brien teenage lovechild who listened to too much Lady GaGa in her childhood! And the background looks like m.c. escher used Tron to take over the Ugly Betty office! Liked the song, though. Great beat.

    One of my favorite songs from a video game soundtrack is Nobuo Uematsu and Rikki's "Suteki da Ne". Ignore the cheesy video clips if you haven't played Final Fantasy X - without backstory, most of it is pointless. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlwSPMwAqbM

    ReplyDelete
  3. How could I not play Final Fantasy X? It's only my favorite Final Fantasy of all time! I do love Rikku's theme. I love almost all of the music in that game. It's such an amazing game!

    Are you going to get a PS3 for FFXIII?

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're supposed to release it for xbox360 as well, which would be cheaper, but even so we can't justify the expense. I'm hoping that when I visit home over the summer, I can borrow my friend's machine and play it there. We'll see, though. I've heard it's amazing, and I'd rather not miss it. :P

    ReplyDelete