Friday, March 12, 2010

american idol: top 16, results

It's 12+ hours later, and I'm still sickened by the results this week. SICKENED. Not just because my two main predictions were completely off (i.e. America got it wrong): Aaron and Paige live to tour America with the Top 12. Hopefully they grow into it, because they're certainly not showing the talent necessary to pull good press. No, not only that, but 2 of my favorite singers who should have been completely safe (i.e. America got it wrong) got ousted. Alex Lambert, my favorite male voice of the season, and Lilly Scott, the indie instrumentalist both got kicked off before they even reached the Top 12. This is probably the second biggest non-finale upset night in the history of Idol (after Chris Daughtry not making the Top 3 in season 5). A Yahoo! blogger says it's because the instrumentalists are splitting the vote amongst themselves, but it's probably lackadaisical voting from complacent fans, combined with people not understanding the styles presented. To add insult to injury, early favorite Todrick was cut, and arguably T12-worthy Katelyn left as well. I was shocked, appalled, upset, and any number of other adjectives about the night. I am just this side of giving up on Idol this season, but loyalty, obsession, and yes, hope keep me watching. The last, best hope for a decent season are Big Mike and Crystal. Some of the others are coming into their own, so we'll see where they go, but with some of the standouts of the season gone and no real polarizing force like last season, this might be a forgettable Idol year.


As for the rest of the night, Scott McIntyre and Matt Giraud were great - pairing the two piano experts was a stroke of genius, and while I am in no way at all interested in buying Scott's CD, I might be convincable if Scott and Matt team up on something. Maybe. And Rolling Stones week shows promise. Less so without Alex and Lilly, but promise nonetheless. Blow me away, Top 12, because right now I'm skeptical.

No comments:

Post a Comment